It has been exactly one week since the Dream Mountains team took our last steps off the beast that is Mount Kilimanjaro. It’s only been 2 days since the majority of us got back to Canada. To be honest it hasn’t been the easiest weekend adjusting back to Ottawa life (I’ve woken up twice not knowing where I am). But I figured opening up my Mac and blogging would be great therapy before heading back to work tomorrow to see my amazing work family.
It’s hard to put everything we learned on that mountain into 10 simple phrases. But after brainstorming with some Dream Team members, I present to you…
“The 10 Commandments of Hiking Kilimanjaro”
- Thou shall drink no less than 6L of water per day.
- Thou shall avert eyes when teammate is peeing one foot off the trail.
- Thou shall blame all ailments and idiotic moments on altitude.
- Speaking of which, altitude shall suck it. (yes, this is a commandment. It’s my list. Get your own.)
- Thou shall resent and curse Shawn Dawson until first step off mountain.
- Thou shall never eat millet (pronounced “mill-ay”) ever again.
- Thou shall have a sick playlist for the tough moments.
- Thou shall have toilet paper and Purell handy at all times.
- Thou shall forget all the pain, agony, puking, and extreme cold of summit night.
- Thou shall fondly remember the breathtaking, alien, once-in-a-lifetime views of Kilimanjaro.